It was a great thing to wake up today, my last day in Mexico City before heading home to Michigan, to the sound of my roommate sleepily announcing, "Hey. There's a canning thing in the New York Times."
I hurried over to my laptop and found the article online within 20 seconds. I proceeded to devour it and the accompanying slideshow, which walked me step-by-step through the asparagus-pickling process. This article could not have shown up at a better time. It's giving me a renewed sense of determination to learn the canning arts for myself, and for right now, it's making the idea of leaving the produce-paradise of Mexico a lot less hard to swallow.

Great update,Katie!!! Coincidentally, last night I scored a friend's surplus tomatoes.
ReplyDeleteOur strawberry day gave me the boost of confidence I needed to know that I could can 'em all up! I finished at 11:30 last night with 6 quarts and 10 pints of this summer's organic heirlooms to enjoy later this winter.
:) Elizabee