Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sweet home Chicago

Time for some good news now. I got accepted to a graduate program in Chicago! Even though this won't take place until after a summer of being unemployed and living in my parents' basement, this means wonderful things for our Plan to Can. How could that be, you ask?

  1. Come fall, I will be living a relatively short distance (compared to Texas, where I was previously planning to go) from Michigan. This means that I can lug more canned goods to my new home.
  2. More excitingly, this means that I can now add a new dimension of food preservation to my summer goals — fruit-freezing!
  3. Speaking of freezing, Chicago is famous for being a cold and miserable place in the winter. All the more reason to invite people over for fresh (frozen) blueberry cobbler and baked ziti with locally-grown and canned tomato sauce!
  4. Canning is all about reducing food transportation costs, and by extension, our carbon footprint. The closer I live to home/Michigan/the source of our canned delicacies, the less of a hypocrite I will be in touting this philosophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment